Rains continue in Uttarakhand, rivers in spate
Dehradun: Several places in Uttarakhand received moderate to light rains on Monday following which various rivers were in a spate in the state.
Chamoli, Dehradun, Almora, Champawat, Rudraprayag and Uttarkashi have been receiving light to moderate rains since last night, the state Disaster Management and Mitigation Centre (DMMC) said today.
Chamoli received the highest rainfall in the past 24 hours at 75 mm, it said, adding that more rains are expected in the state as almost all the places are overcast.
The rains have led to a rise in the water level of various rivers in the state.
Sharda river at Tanakpur in Champawat crossed the danger level yesterday, after which movement of vehicles on the Sharda barrage was stopped, official sources said.
Also, the water level of Alaknanda in Rudraprayag and Chamoli rose yesterday, they added.
Further, in Uttarkashi, the flow of Indrawati turned towards the city last night, leading to a rise in the level of Baghirathi due to which some portions of a lodge was washed away, the sources said.
A house also collapsed in the Nauba area of Almora. However, no one was injured, official sources said.
In Narayanbagar area of Chamoli, water entered several houses and 28 families had to be shifted to safer places.
Also, the mud released due to landslides has got accumulated on the Rishikesh-Badrinath and Rishikesh-Kedarnath national highways, causing disturbance in the movement of traffic on the roads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur