Rains continue to lash Uttarakhand, normal life hit
Dehra Dun: Rains continued to lash most parts of Uttarakhand for the third day on Monday, triggering fresh cloudbursts and landslides and affecting normal life.
Met office here has predicted that the current weather conditons are likely to continue for another day and some parts of the state, including Chamoli and Uttarkashi district, might receive rather heavy to heavy rains during the next 24 hours, sources in the Disaster Management and Mitigation Centre (DMMC) said.
Nuranu village of Mori area in Uttarkashi district was hit by cloudburst yesterday following heavy rains, washing away several cattles and damaging 19 houses, the sources said. However no loss of human life was reported in the incident, they said.
Rishikesh-Yamunotri national highway remains disrupted by fresh landslides at Badia while Rishikesh-Gangotri national highway was blocked to traffic for the 16th consecutive day today due to washing away of a bridge at Gangori by cloudburst on August 4 which also left 28 people dead and hundreds homeless.
The continuous rains for the past three days also affected normal life as the rising waters of several rivers like Asan, Song, Rispana and Bindal have inundated low-lying areas, forcing the people to take shelter in higher areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees