Rawat`s supporters unhappy over U’Khand CM choice
New Delhi: Hours after Congress MP Vijay Bahuguna was named as the next Uttarakhand Chief Minister, factional fued in the party came to the fore with legislators supporting Harish Rawat huddled in a meeting on late Monday night to chalk out their strategy.
Raising slogans, supporters of Rawat wanted to know why he was ignored for the top slot.
In a bid to mollify a sulking Rawat, Bahuguna, his sister and UPCC chief Rita Bahuguna Joshi met the Congress leader. The legislators owing allegiance to Rawat were confabulating till late in the night.
Congress President Sonia Gandhi, who was authorised by party MLAs to take a decision in the matter, chose Bahuguna after taking the views of party MPs and MLAs, Ghulam Nabi Azad told reporters outside 10 Janpath, the residence of Gandhi, here earlier in the Monday.
The choice of Bahuguna, a cousin of outgoing BJP chief minister B C Khanduri, was made by Gandhi after the party high command had grappled with the issue for days amid diverse pulls and pressures created by several claimants to the top post and demand by independent MLAs whose support is crucial to Congress` securing majority and formation of government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read