Ready to resume prayers at Kedarnath from Sept 11: Bahuguna
Dehradun: Preparations are in place for resumption of prayers from September 11 at Kedarnath shrine in the flood-ravaged state of Uttarakhand, Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna said on Sunday.
Prayers at Kedarnath, suspended since the mid-June natural calamity in the state, will begin again at 7 A.M. On the said day and continue till 11am, Bahuguna told reporters here after a meeting with Badrinath-Kedarnath temple committee officials here to review the arrangements.
Giving details of the meeting, Bahuguna said that the committee, the Kedarnath dharmadhikari and representatives of Shankaracharya Swami Swaroopanand Saraswati had given their consent for the prayers to recommence at the shrine on September 11, as announced earlier by the state government.
Bahuguna, however, added that devotees will not be allowed to visit the shrine by foot till September 30 for safety reasons.
The pedestrian route to the high altitude shrine sustained large-scale damage in the flash flood calamity.
The temple committee has provided the state government with a list of 24 persons who will perform the prayers at the shrine on September 11, Bahuguna said.
The above team would be replaced every 10 days by a new one which would continue performing the prayers there, he said.
The state government will hold another meeting with the temple committee and others concerned to review the conditions at the shrine on September 30, he said.
Prayers were suspended at the shrine after the June 16-17 deluge which caused large-scale damage to Kedarnath valley.
Although the shrine itself remained unharmed in the calamity, the adjoining area and structures bore the brunt of it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- PM Modi pays tribute to Chandra Shekhar Azad, Bal Gangadhar Tilak on birth anniversaries
- Did Indian Air Force's AN-32 plane vanish due to catastrophic accident?
- Doomed EgyptAir flight broke up midair after fire: Report
- Pokemon Go daily used twice as much as Facebook
- Virat Kohli: Five incredible records set by India captain during 200-run knock