Relief ops speeded up in Uttarakhand as weather relents
Dehradun: With weather clearing up, relief operations today gained momentum in Uttarakhand as the government came out with a roadmap for clearing tonnes of debris and extricating bodies in Kedarnath and adjoining areas ravaged by flash floods over a month ago.
Nearly 8,000 quintals of food material were carried to Rudraprayag, Chamoli, Uttarkashi and Pithoragarh districts by choppers and mules even as major roads remained blocked by debris from the hills amid intermittent rains.
Rishikesh-Gangotri National Highway (NH) in Uttarkashi is blocked by debris in Netala while Rishikesh-Kedarnath NH is obstructed in Naulapani, Silli and Rampur, officials said.
As authorities struggle to bring back life on track, the BRO have succeeded in building a temporary bridge over the Alaknanda near Govindghat to evacuate over 1,000 horses and mules stuck along with their operators in Phoolon ki ghati area ever since the bridge over the river was swept away in the flash floods.
Tilwada-Mayali-Guptkashi and Gopeshwar-Chopta roads in Rudraprayag district are also blocked for the last few days.
A roadmap for clearing tonnes of debris lying in Kedarghati and extricating bodies was worked out at a meeting of GSI experts, Engineering Projects (India) Limited (EPIL) top brass and IAF officials with Chief Secretary Subhash Kumar and DGP Satyavrat Bansal here yesterday.
It was decided that the services of EPIL will be taken to carry out the massive exercise hampered so far by bad weather and lack of heavy equipment, officials said.
A team of EPIL and GSI experts will soon conduct an aerial recce of Kedarghati to explore how a base camp and a helipad could be built at the Himalayan shrine to allow IAF`s MI-26 helicopters to transport heavy equipment needed to clear the huge quantity of rubble lying on the 8th century temple premises.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- India set to get MTCR membership, NSG option remains open: MEA
- LIVE CRICKET SCORE: ODI Tri-series final — West Indies vs Australia
- Haryana to be open-defecation free by December 2017: Khattar
- Earth's ancient magnetic field had more than two poles!
- VIDEOS: MS Dhoni's wife Sakshi shares her adorable moments with daughter Ziva