Rishikesh-Badrinath highway reopens for light vehicles
Dehra Dun: Rishikesh-Badrinath highway in
Vishnuprayag area of Uttarakhand was today reopened for light
vehicles after a two-day closure while pilgrimage to Gangotri
and Yamunotri remained suspended due to fresh landslides
triggered by heavy rains.
Rishikesh-Badrinath highway, which was blocked at
Vishnuprayag and Pandukeshwar due to landslides that also
destroyed parts of the road on Monday, was reopened for light
motor vehicles, Disaster Management and Mitigation Centre
(DMMC) sources here said.
However, it would take a couple of days more to reopen it
for big vehicles as personnel of police, BRO and ITBP are
working hard to repair the roads, they said.
After the reopening of road for light vehicles, the
pilgrims have started returning from Badrinath area, they
The authorities had suspended the pilgrimage to Badrinath
on Monday after landslides hit the highway on Vishnuprayag and
On the other hand, the pilgrimage to Gangotri and
Yamunotri shrine remained suspended after fresh landslides
following heavy rains hit Bhatwari and Banas area blocking the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up