Rishikesh-Badrinath highway reopens for light vehicles
Dehra Dun: Rishikesh-Badrinath highway in
Vishnuprayag area of Uttarakhand was today reopened for light
vehicles after a two-day closure while pilgrimage to Gangotri
and Yamunotri remained suspended due to fresh landslides
triggered by heavy rains.
Rishikesh-Badrinath highway, which was blocked at
Vishnuprayag and Pandukeshwar due to landslides that also
destroyed parts of the road on Monday, was reopened for light
motor vehicles, Disaster Management and Mitigation Centre
(DMMC) sources here said.
However, it would take a couple of days more to reopen it
for big vehicles as personnel of police, BRO and ITBP are
working hard to repair the roads, they said.
After the reopening of road for light vehicles, the
pilgrims have started returning from Badrinath area, they
The authorities had suspended the pilgrimage to Badrinath
on Monday after landslides hit the highway on Vishnuprayag and
On the other hand, the pilgrimage to Gangotri and
Yamunotri shrine remained suspended after fresh landslides
following heavy rains hit Bhatwari and Banas area blocking the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore