Rishikesh-Badrinath highway reopens for light vehicles
Dehra Dun: Rishikesh-Badrinath highway in
Vishnuprayag area of Uttarakhand was today reopened for light
vehicles after a two-day closure while pilgrimage to Gangotri
and Yamunotri remained suspended due to fresh landslides
triggered by heavy rains.
Rishikesh-Badrinath highway, which was blocked at
Vishnuprayag and Pandukeshwar due to landslides that also
destroyed parts of the road on Monday, was reopened for light
motor vehicles, Disaster Management and Mitigation Centre
(DMMC) sources here said.
However, it would take a couple of days more to reopen it
for big vehicles as personnel of police, BRO and ITBP are
working hard to repair the roads, they said.
After the reopening of road for light vehicles, the
pilgrims have started returning from Badrinath area, they
The authorities had suspended the pilgrimage to Badrinath
on Monday after landslides hit the highway on Vishnuprayag and
On the other hand, the pilgrimage to Gangotri and
Yamunotri shrine remained suspended after fresh landslides
following heavy rains hit Bhatwari and Banas area blocking the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India