Rising prices, scams to take toll on Congress: BJP
Dehradun: Claiming that people are fed up with the ruling Congress, BJP on Tuesday said it was confident of a victory in the October 10 Tehri Lok Sabha bypoll in Uttarakhand due to the steep hike in prices of diesel and petrol by the UPA government at the Centre.
"People are fed up and eager for change due to the steep hike in prices of petrol and diesel as well as a series of scams that have dented the image of the UPA government at the Centre. If free and fair election is held we have no doubt BJP will emerge victorious in the forthcoming bypoll," Leader of Opposition in the state Assembly Ajay Bhatt said.
Alleging that the last six months of Congress government in the state have been "disappointing", he said Congress` own MLAs have expressed their dissatisfaction with the government with one of them even going to the extent of staging a dharna at Jantar Mantar in protest against his own government.
"Be it law and order, disaster management or the prolonged agitation over the issue of quota in promotion which badly affected work in government offices for nearly a month, the Bahuguna government has failed on all fronts," the Leader of Opposition said.
Recent cloudbursts and flash-floods in Uttarkashi and Rudraprayag districts would not have caused death and destruction at such a massive scale if precautionary measures had been taken well in advance, Leader of Opposition in Uttarakhand Assembly said.
"Cloudbursts, landslips and flash-floods are usual during monsoon in Uttarakhand. But no precautionary steps were taken by the state government to minimise the damages in case of a natural calamity," the BJP leader said.
Cloudbursts and flash-floods in the twin districts claimed 80 lives and rendered many more homeless in less than two months since August this year.
Bhatt said the law and order scenario was never as "gloomy" with frequent incidents of gang rapes, loots and thefts reported from different parts of the state.
He said nearly six months of the current fiscal have passed but only 20 per cent of the budget`s state plan have been spent so far. "This shows the slow pace of development work in the state," he said.
Though the chief minister`s son, Saket is a political greenhorn who is yet to prove himself whereas our nominee is mature and from the erstwhile Tehri royal family which wields great influence over voters in the constituency.
BJP nominee from the seat Mala Raj Laxmi Shah`s father-in-law Maharaja Manvendra Shah represented the seat in the Lok Sabha for a record eight times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’