‘Roads connecting Kedarnath shrine to be restored by September’
New Delhi: Nearly a month after floods ravaged several parts of Uttarakhand, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways is working towards re-linking the state with the rest of the country and is hopeful of providing full connectivity to the Kedarnath shrine by September.
"The restoration work has started but there are stretches where the entire road has been washed out, where we have to build new roads. This may go beyond one or two months," Road Minister Oscar Fernandes told a news agency here.
Exuding confidence Fernandes said, "By September, we will be able to restore connectivity to the (Kedarnath) shrine".
Heavy monsoon rains wreaked havoc in the hill states of Uttarakhand on June 16 and 17, with thousands of people affected and several hundreds dead. Himachal Pradesh was also hit by floods due to rains.
Broken roads in the worst hit Rudraprayag, Chamoli and Uttarkashi districts affected supply of relief material to the areas. The supplies are being dispatched in choppers to affected areas of Uttarakhand.
The minister had visited the affected areas in the hilly state to take stock of the situation.
"I had a feel of the tragedy in Uttarakhand and interacted with the Border Road Organisation (BRO) to know the situation at ground zero," he added.
Fernandes, who took charge of the Ministry on June 18 said his ministry will work towards getting speedy environment clearances for the projects that are stuck.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!