Rs 120 crore compensation distributed in Uttarakhand: CM
Dehradun: Compensation of Rs 120 crore has been distributed to those affected by floods in Uttarakhand, Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna said Tuesday.
A meeting of District Magistrates of affected areas had been convened on August 29 to discuss identification of land to rehabilitate devastated villages, Bahuguna told reporters here.
"The opinion of the Geological Survey of India will be taken into consideration in rehabilitating devastated villages and once they are rehabilitated, their names will be suffixed with `Naveen` which means new," he said.
The amount of Rs 2,000 to be given as rent per month to people rendered homeless by the crisis till the time they get a permanent accommodation of their own has been revised to Rs 3,000, he said. The period for payment has also been extended from six months to one year, he said.
About 300 villages were affected by the calamity, he said, adding that the government had sought a list of people whose houses had been damaged completely in the tragedy.
Bahuguna said Border Roads Organisation and other departments like PWD were doing their job properly, but their operations had not gathered speed due to inclement weather.
However, the state government`s priority was to repair and rebuild the roads at the earliest, he said, adding that the mule tracks have been restored which is of great help to people in affected villages.
The state government had earlier set September 30 as the deadline for repairing damaged roads.
He said the biggest challenge before the government was to rehabilitate villages which suffered massive destruction in the calamity and to impart vocational training to youths belonging to families which lost everything they had in the wake of the disaster.
The Union Labour Ministry, FICCI and several other organisations have agreed in principle to provide vocational training to youths in affected areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31