Rs 300 cr scam in PMGSY in Uttarakhand: BJP leader
Dehradun: A BJP leader on Friday alleged Rs 300 crore scam in PMGSY scheme in Uttarakhand and demanded a CBI probe, saying 75 of the 113 road building contracts were awarded without competitive bidding in violation of rules.
"There is a huge scam in tender allotment in Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) in Bahuguna government. Of a total of 113 mega road construction projects, 75 contracts were awarded to chosen ones close to the echelons of power on a single bid basis," BJP leader Munna Singh Chauhan told a press conference here.
"Coincidentally, one of the contractors awarded the project is also the brother-in-law of state rural development minister Pritam Singh," he said.
He also alleged 10 to 15 percent commission, which comes at Rs 50 crore, was also taken in the alleged deals.
Citing the rules laid down by National Rural Road Development Agency, the former four-time MLA who is currently a member of the BJP`s state executive said NRRDA clearly states that contracts should be awarded through competitive bidding and not on single bid basis.
Even the technical evaluation of the bids was done in a very unfair manner to oblige the chosen ones, he said.
NRRDA says one can qualify for the contract of a project only if one has done a single project of similar nature worth at least half its value earlier but in this case this rule was brazenly violated and all the projects were given to petty contractors who had repaired only roadside drains and had no experience of road construction, the BJP leader claimed.
"For instance Raigi-Kulha road in Tuni area worth Rs 2.76 crore was awarded to a contractor who had executed a much smaller project worth just Rs 19 lakh in the past," he said.
Another project worth over Rs four crore was given to a contractor who did not qualify for the contract in terms of experience, Chauhan said.
Meanwhile, the Rural Development Minister said Chauhan was levelling baseless allegations against him under a conspiracy to malign him.
"The allegations are baseless. Contracts are awarded through e-tendering which is a transparent process. They are awarded after verifying qualification and other details of bidders by departmental officials and not me. So, saying that one of my relatives was obliged is not fair," he said.
"Many of my relatives are contractors. If one of them has been awarded a contract, that does not mean it is because of me. Mentioning my name in this context shows Chauhan`s political intentions. He is conspiring to sully my image," Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’