Rs 8.24 lakh sanctioned for Rudrapur riot victims
Dehra Dun: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna on Friday sanctioned an additional grant of Rs 8.24 lakh as compensation for the remaining 83 victims of last year`s Rudrapur riots.
The amount, sanctioned from the chief minister`s discretionary fund, is in addition to the relief of Rs 36.21 lakh sanctioned earlier, an official release said here.
All 83 of the victims had failed to get compensation due to inadequate funds.
Rudrapur town of Kumaon region had witnessed large scale violence that left four people dead and scores of others injured following an alleged act of sacrilege on October 2 last year.
The violence also created a communal tension in the area, forcing the administration to keep the industrial town under curfew for more than a week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- Could 3D printing save our coral reefs? - Watch
- Ranbir Kapoor has a Bollywood style icon and he is a BIGGIE!
- Yemen suicide bombing: At least 45 dead so far
- West Bengal renamed as 'Bangla' in Bengali, 'Bengal' in English; state assembly passes resolution
- Massive reef ecosystem found hiding behind Great Barrier Reef