Rs 8.24 lakh sanctioned for Rudrapur riot victims
Dehra Dun: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna on Friday sanctioned an additional grant of Rs 8.24 lakh as compensation for the remaining 83 victims of last year`s Rudrapur riots.
The amount, sanctioned from the chief minister`s discretionary fund, is in addition to the relief of Rs 36.21 lakh sanctioned earlier, an official release said here.
All 83 of the victims had failed to get compensation due to inadequate funds.
Rudrapur town of Kumaon region had witnessed large scale violence that left four people dead and scores of others injured following an alleged act of sacrilege on October 2 last year.
The violence also created a communal tension in the area, forcing the administration to keep the industrial town under curfew for more than a week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman