Rudrapur violence: Curfew relaxed for eight hours
Rudrapur: Curfew was relaxed in phases for
eight hours on Friday in Uttarakhand`s Rudrapur town where
communal clashes on October 1 left four persons dead and over
"The situation is tense, but under control," Divisional
Commissioner of Kumaon, Kunal Sharma, said.
No incidence of violence has been reported from any area,
he said, adding that the curfew was relaxed from 7 am to 9 am
in the morning and then 12 noon to 6 pm keeping in mind
residents` need to buy day-to-day items.
More than 200 people have been taken into custody in the
case till now, he said.
Police personnel and jawans from the Rapid Action Force
are keeping strict vigil in sensitive areas, he said.
Religious prayers in the town passed off peacefully, DIG
Abhinav Kumar, who is supervising law and order situation at
Kumar said the authorities might lift curfew in the day
time tomorrow as part of confidence boosting exercise.
Meanwhile, senior police and administrative officials are
also holding talks with religious leaders in order to restore
lasting peace in the area.
Industrial workers at the nearby Pantnagar industrial
estate have resumed their duties.
A high-level investigation has been ordered into the
violence that occurred on October 1, sources said.
Indefinite curfew was imposed in the town after communal
clashes over an alleged act of sacrilege leading to mobs
torching shops and vehicles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened