Rudrapur violence: Curfew relaxed for eight hours
Rudrapur: Curfew was relaxed in phases for
eight hours on Friday in Uttarakhand`s Rudrapur town where
communal clashes on October 1 left four persons dead and over
"The situation is tense, but under control," Divisional
Commissioner of Kumaon, Kunal Sharma, said.
No incidence of violence has been reported from any area,
he said, adding that the curfew was relaxed from 7 am to 9 am
in the morning and then 12 noon to 6 pm keeping in mind
residents` need to buy day-to-day items.
More than 200 people have been taken into custody in the
case till now, he said.
Police personnel and jawans from the Rapid Action Force
are keeping strict vigil in sensitive areas, he said.
Religious prayers in the town passed off peacefully, DIG
Abhinav Kumar, who is supervising law and order situation at
Kumar said the authorities might lift curfew in the day
time tomorrow as part of confidence boosting exercise.
Meanwhile, senior police and administrative officials are
also holding talks with religious leaders in order to restore
lasting peace in the area.
Industrial workers at the nearby Pantnagar industrial
estate have resumed their duties.
A high-level investigation has been ordered into the
violence that occurred on October 1, sources said.
Indefinite curfew was imposed in the town after communal
clashes over an alleged act of sacrilege leading to mobs
torching shops and vehicles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Happy Birthday AbRam Khan, you are an adorable munchkin! See what daddy Shah Rukh posted
- Nation remembers Pt Jawaharlal Nehru on his 52nd death anniversary
- IPL 2016, Qualifier 2: SRH vs GL - Second opportunity for Suresh Raina & Co to book final berth
- Two security personnel injured in gunbattle in Baramulla
- Shahid Kapoor's 'Udta Punjab' gets into trouble with Censor Board