SDM suspended for not acting against illegal miners
Dehradun: The Sub-Divisional Magistrate of Vikasnagar was suspended after a report by the District Magistrate here indicted him of not acting against illegal mining flourishing in the area.
SDM Vikasnagar Arvind Pandey was suspended on the basis of a report submitted by Dehradun District Magistrate BVRC Purushottam, which said illegal mining was being carried out in the area on a large scale, Secretary (Personnel) CMS Bisht said.
An order placing Pandey under suspension was issued yesterday, he said.
Pandey, who was transferred from Haridwar to Dehrdaun only two-and-a-half-months ago, has been suspended as he was found guilty of not acting against illegal mining, official sources here said.
The DM`s report, which led to Pandey`s suspension, followed secret raids conducted by ADM Harak Singh Rawat and SP (rural) Manikant Mishra during which it was found that illegal stone quarrying was being carried out in the Yamuna riverbed in Vikasnagar, they said.
Five trucks loaded with illegally mined materials were seized from the area, the sources said.
Mining in the area has temporarily been suspended, they said, adding that the administration was repeatedly receiving complaints about illegal quarrying being done in Yamuna, Tons, Sheetala and Swarna rivers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown