Second quake in a week hits Pithoragarh; Darma, Johar valleys on alert
Pithoragarh: An earthquake measuring 4.5 on the Ritcher scale, the second in a week`s time, hit Darma valley of the district on Sunday evening prompting authorities to sound a general alert in the valley and the adjoining Johar valley, District Disaster Management authorities said on Monday.
The earthquake occurred at 8.18 PM on Sunday with its epicentre located 10 km deep between Johar and Darma valleys in the higher reaches of the Himalayas, Pithoragarh District Disaster Management Officer RS Rana said.
"The latitude of the earthquake was at 30.2 degrees north and its longitude 30.3 degrees east which falls in between Darma and Johar valleys of the district," Rana said.
However, no damages have been reported from the area after the tremor.
"The repeated earthquakes seem to be the result of increased tectonic activities in the main central thrust which passes through the area," he said.
According to the weather and disaster department sources, the possibility of high intensity earth quake could not be ruled out in the area as these earth quakes have shown tendency of increasing intensity from 4.1 Richter scale? on July 3 to 4.5 density on Sunday.
"The area is vital from tectonic activities points of view as in the year 2010 a series of earthquakes ranging between 4.0 to 5.2 occurred there in a week`s time," he said.
The villages of Darma and Johar valleys have been put on alert against any damage if further tremors occur. ITBP and BRO personnel have been asked to remain vigilant, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo