Seer for CBI probe in Nigamanand death ends fast
Haridwar: A seer, demanding immediate
initiation of CBI inquiry into the alleged murder of Swami
Nigamanand, on Sunday ended his 16-day old fast after receiving a
letter from the probe agency.
Swami Poornanand broke his fast this evening by sipping
juice given to him by Union minister Harish Rawat.
Poornanand of the Matri Sadan ashram here began his fast
on July 30 seeking immediate initiation of CBI inquiry into
the death of Swami Nigamanand, who died on June 13 after
fasting for over four months in protest against illegal mining
on the Ganga riverbed.
The Centre had issued notification on handing probe to
CBI on August 10, but the letter reached him only by this
evening, Swami Dayanand, spokesman of Matri Sadan ashram,
Swami Nigamanand, who also belonged to Matri Sadan
ashram, died in a hospital near here after remaining in coma
for more than a month. He had begun his indefinite fast in
February this year. In April, he was admitted to a hospital
when he complained of vomiting. Later, his condition
deteriorated and he went into coma on May 2.
Matri Sadan ashram founder head Swami Shivanand, however,
alleged that Swami Nigamanand was murdered by being given
poison during treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II