Senior Uttarakhand govt official held on graft charges
Dehradun: A senior Uttarakhand government official was arrested by the state vigilance department sleuths while allegedly taking a bribe of Rs 1 lakh from a retired person.
Assistant Manager of Haridwar Cooperative Society, Umrao Singh Saini was arrested from the residence of complainant Jagdish Sharma yesterday when he was taking Rs 1 lakh from Sharma as the first instalment of the bribe, Vigilance department sources said here on Thursday.
The action was taken on the basis of a complaint lodged by Sharma with the Vigilance department, alleging that Saini had demanded a bribe of Rs 3.25 lakh from him in return for releasing Rs 13 lakh of his pension and gratuity, they said.
The complainant had retired in December last year as secretary of Haridwar Cooperative Society.
A case has been registered against Saini while the further probes are on, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?