Senior Uttarakhand govt official held on graft charges
Dehradun: A senior Uttarakhand government official was arrested by the state vigilance department sleuths while allegedly taking a bribe of Rs 1 lakh from a retired person.
Assistant Manager of Haridwar Cooperative Society, Umrao Singh Saini was arrested from the residence of complainant Jagdish Sharma yesterday when he was taking Rs 1 lakh from Sharma as the first instalment of the bribe, Vigilance department sources said here on Thursday.
The action was taken on the basis of a complaint lodged by Sharma with the Vigilance department, alleging that Saini had demanded a bribe of Rs 3.25 lakh from him in return for releasing Rs 13 lakh of his pension and gratuity, they said.
The complainant had retired in December last year as secretary of Haridwar Cooperative Society.
A case has been registered against Saini while the further probes are on, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials