Senior Uttarakhand govt official held on graft charges
Dehradun: A senior Uttarakhand government official was arrested by the state vigilance department sleuths while allegedly taking a bribe of Rs 1 lakh from a retired person.
Assistant Manager of Haridwar Cooperative Society, Umrao Singh Saini was arrested from the residence of complainant Jagdish Sharma yesterday when he was taking Rs 1 lakh from Sharma as the first instalment of the bribe, Vigilance department sources said here on Thursday.
The action was taken on the basis of a complaint lodged by Sharma with the Vigilance department, alleging that Saini had demanded a bribe of Rs 3.25 lakh from him in return for releasing Rs 13 lakh of his pension and gratuity, they said.
The complainant had retired in December last year as secretary of Haridwar Cooperative Society.
A case has been registered against Saini while the further probes are on, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Sushma Swaraj calls on Myanmar President
- HEINOUS! Woman set on fire in Delhi for allegedly rejecting marriage proposal
- Expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa says she will not resign from Rajya Sabha
- New research identifies role of mood in making decisions
- Teachers tend to favour middle-class students: Study