Senior Uttarakhand govt official held on graft charges
Dehradun: A senior Uttarakhand government official was arrested by the state vigilance department sleuths while allegedly taking a bribe of Rs 1 lakh from a retired person.
Assistant Manager of Haridwar Cooperative Society, Umrao Singh Saini was arrested from the residence of complainant Jagdish Sharma yesterday when he was taking Rs 1 lakh from Sharma as the first instalment of the bribe, Vigilance department sources said here on Thursday.
The action was taken on the basis of a complaint lodged by Sharma with the Vigilance department, alleging that Saini had demanded a bribe of Rs 3.25 lakh from him in return for releasing Rs 13 lakh of his pension and gratuity, they said.
The complainant had retired in December last year as secretary of Haridwar Cooperative Society.
A case has been registered against Saini while the further probes are on, the sources said.
- Agusta Westland chopper deal: Turning approver is out of question, says Italian middleman Christian Michel
- Google Chrome overtakes Internet Explorer to be crowned top web browser
- Delhi petrol pump staff allegedly dupe a guy and then say - "Our boss knows Kejriwal personally"
- This Carat keeps your phone battery healthy!
- Growth falls to 15-year low in Sub-Saharan Africa: IMF