Senior Uttarakhand govt official held on graft charges
Dehradun: A senior Uttarakhand government official was arrested by the state vigilance department sleuths while allegedly taking a bribe of Rs 1 lakh from a retired person.
Assistant Manager of Haridwar Cooperative Society, Umrao Singh Saini was arrested from the residence of complainant Jagdish Sharma yesterday when he was taking Rs 1 lakh from Sharma as the first instalment of the bribe, Vigilance department sources said here on Thursday.
The action was taken on the basis of a complaint lodged by Sharma with the Vigilance department, alleging that Saini had demanded a bribe of Rs 3.25 lakh from him in return for releasing Rs 13 lakh of his pension and gratuity, they said.
The complainant had retired in December last year as secretary of Haridwar Cooperative Society.
A case has been registered against Saini while the further probes are on, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- iPhone 7 to be launched on September 16: Report
- Virat Kohli: The making of India's greatest Test captain
- Pacer Neil Wagner bags six wickets as New Zealand restrict Zimbabwe to 164 on Day 1
- Price rise: FM Jaitley counters Rahul Gandhi, says bluster no match to statistics
- Indian men's hockey team go down 1-4 to Spain in Rio Olympics preparation match