‘Set up CNG stations, hike foodgrain quota’
Dehra Dun: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay
Bahuguna has urged the centre to set up at least 6 CNG
stations in the state and increase the foodgrain quota.
In a letter to Union Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister
Jaipal Reddy, Bahuguna said at least six CNG stations should
be established in the fast growing cities of Dehra Dun,
Rishikesh, Haridwar, Haldwani, Kashipur and Rudrapur in the
first phase. Currently, there is no CNG station in the state,
said an official release here.
Expressing concern over the degradation of the environment
due to the growing number of vehicles, Bahuguna said it was
adversely affecting the forest and wildlife of the state,
which is a major attraction for tourists.
In this regard, he pointed out that visit of tourists also
provides foreign exchange to the state and employment
opportunities to local people.
The CNG-powered vehicles would prove effective in
controlling the problem of environment degradation, Bahuguna
The CM has also written a letter to Union Minister of
State (Independent Charge) for Consumer Affairs, Food and
Civil Supplies K V Thomas urging him to allocate 22,570 MT of
wheat and 16,928 MT of rice per month in view of the present
population of the state.
He has stated that as per the latest census of 2011, the
state`s population has grown to over 1 crore during the last
one decade from nearly 76 lakh in 2001.
In this regard, the CM said the existing quota of wheat
was falling short by 767 MT and rice by 13,496 MT and this
shortage is adversely affecting the interests of the Above
Poverty Line (APL) ration card holders.
In his letter, he has also urged the centre to take into
consideration the standard being followed in mother state of
Uttar Pradesh and also the geographical conditions of
Uttarakhand while allocating the foodgrains quota.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video