Shravan pilgrimage: Security increased in Haridwar
Dehra Dun: In view of the recent blasts in
Mumbai and heavy inflow of pilgrims during auspicious
`Shravan` month of the Hindu calendar, security in the holy
city of Haridwar has been increased.
Thousands of pilgrims from across India have started
converging at the banks of River Ganga here for the annual
pilgrimage, beginning on Monday.
The district administration has deployed a large number
of police personnel, including some in white clothes, at
locations like Chandighat and Premnagar, where heavy rush of
`kanwarias` (pilgrims) are expected, officials said.
On major roads, connecting Haridwar with other major
cities, vehicular traffic has either been fully suspended or
partially suspended, seeing the rush of bare feet pilgrims.
A senior police official said in the wake of Mumbai
blasts, strict security vigilance is being maintained and
kanwarias have been barred from bringing articles like
tridents and hockey sticks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur