Shravan pilgrimage: Security increased in Haridwar
Dehra Dun: In view of the recent blasts in
Mumbai and heavy inflow of pilgrims during auspicious
`Shravan` month of the Hindu calendar, security in the holy
city of Haridwar has been increased.
Thousands of pilgrims from across India have started
converging at the banks of River Ganga here for the annual
pilgrimage, beginning on Monday.
The district administration has deployed a large number
of police personnel, including some in white clothes, at
locations like Chandighat and Premnagar, where heavy rush of
`kanwarias` (pilgrims) are expected, officials said.
On major roads, connecting Haridwar with other major
cities, vehicular traffic has either been fully suspended or
partially suspended, seeing the rush of bare feet pilgrims.
A senior police official said in the wake of Mumbai
blasts, strict security vigilance is being maintained and
kanwarias have been barred from bringing articles like
tridents and hockey sticks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- 'Reprogrammed' bacteria eat carbon dioxide to produce sugars
- Government eliminates 1.6 crore bogus ration cards, to save Rs 10,000 crore
- Mahindra makes history with maiden win in Moto3 class
- Yemen clashes intensify as Ban Ki-moon pushes peace
- France beat Ireland 2-1 to reach Euro 2016 quarter-finals