Shutdown evokes mixed response in Uttarakhand
Dehra Dun: The nation-wide shutdown called
by non-NDA and non-UPA parties to protest spiralling prices of
essential commodities evoked a mixed response in Uttarakhand
Most commercial establishments and main markets in state
capital Dehra Dun were closed while shops were open in lanes
Offices reported normal attendance as vehicular traffic
plied normally. However, schools and colleges were closed.
Activists of Left parties and the Samajwadi Party staged
a demonstration here protesting what they said failure of the
Union government to rein in food inflation.
Police tried to stop the demonstrators near Sabzi Mandi
area here leading to a minor skirmish in which one person was
In Haridwar, main markets and business establishments
were open while schools and colleges were closed.
In picturesque Nainital, shops and businesses were open
with offices reporting normal attendance.
However, Uttarakhand Samajwadi Party head Vinod Barthwal
claimed the day-long bandh was successful.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Jayalalithaa's mortal remains taken to Rajaji Hall for people to pay last respects
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what