Shutdown evokes mixed response in Uttarakhand
Dehra Dun: The nation-wide shutdown called
by non-NDA and non-UPA parties to protest spiralling prices of
essential commodities evoked a mixed response in Uttarakhand
Most commercial establishments and main markets in state
capital Dehra Dun were closed while shops were open in lanes
Offices reported normal attendance as vehicular traffic
plied normally. However, schools and colleges were closed.
Activists of Left parties and the Samajwadi Party staged
a demonstration here protesting what they said failure of the
Union government to rein in food inflation.
Police tried to stop the demonstrators near Sabzi Mandi
area here leading to a minor skirmish in which one person was
In Haridwar, main markets and business establishments
were open while schools and colleges were closed.
In picturesque Nainital, shops and businesses were open
with offices reporting normal attendance.
However, Uttarakhand Samajwadi Party head Vinod Barthwal
claimed the day-long bandh was successful.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NASA inflates spare room in space
- Bihar Class 10th Result 2016, BSEB 10th Result 2016: Bihar Board Matric Class 10 Results 2016 (biharboard.bih.nic.in) to be declared today on May 29
- Kiran Bedi to assume charge as Lt Governor of Puducherry today
- Trials of Talgo train to commence today: Know more about it
- Cristiano Ronaldo strikes shoot-out winner as Real Madrid crowned kings of Europe