SIDCUL land scam: BJP creates uproar, insists on CBI probe
Dehradun: The Uttarakhand Assembly was adjourned twice on Thursday after the opposition BJP created an uproar in the House for the fifth day in a row refusing to give up its demand for a CBI probe into the alleged Rs 1,000 crore SIDCUL land scam in the state.
As soon as Speaker Govind Singh Kunjwal assumed his chair, BJP members led by the Leader of Opposition Ajay Bhatt rose from their seats alleging a Rs 1,000 crore scam in SIDCUL land transactions in Haridwar and Pantnagar to benefit real estate firms.
Shouting anti-government slogans they demanded a CBI probe into the alleged scam, saying the state government was running away from an inquiry as it was aware of the scam in the corporation and was afraid of being exposed.
However, they said they will not stay content with anything less than a CBI probe into the land transactions, which they alleged were done to benefit the land mafia and real estate firms.
When Kunjwal`s repeated efforts to restore peace in the House went in vain, he adjourned it till 12.30 pm.
However, when the House reassembled after the adjournment, BJP members led by Bhatt rushed into the Well insisting on a CBI inquiry into the scam prompting the Speaker to adjourn it once again till 4 pm.
Ever since the start of the state Assembly`s Budget Session, it has been witness to regular disruptions by BJP MLAs over SIDCUL land scam issue.
Later talking to reporters outside the state assembly Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna criticised the BJP for disrupting the proceedings on a regular basis.
"It is unfortunate that precious time of the Assembly is being wasted by the Opposition. It should have utilised this time to raise issues of public interest in the House," he said, adding that the Opposition is running way from its responsibility.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train - Part II
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train
- DNA: Analysis of deaths in road accidents in year 2014
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...