Six killed in Uttarakhand bridge collapse
Dehradun: At least six people were killed and 18 others injured when an under-construction bridge over Alaknanda river collapsed near Srinagar town in Uttarakhand`s Pauri district, prompting Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna to ordered an inquiry into the incident.
The Choras bridge collapsed in the wee hours today when some labourers were working there. The reasons for the collapse of the bridge were not immediately known, District Magistrate Pauri MC Upreti told a news agency.
All the six bodies have been retrieved and efforts are on identify them, the DM said.
The chief minister, meanwhile, ordered an inquiry into the tragedy. "I am concerned over what happened. I have already ordered a helicopter (to oversee the rescue operation)," Bahuguna told reporters here.
The chief minister said he would also reach the accident site.
There have been similar incidents in the hill state in the last few years which authorities have blamed on the poor quality of material used in these structures.
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper deal: Manohar Parrikar to make statement in Parliament today
- IPL 2016: Unsold at auction, Hashim Amla signed by Kings XI Punjab as replacement for injured Shaun Marsh
- NEET 2016: 2nd phase to be held on July 24; Centre and CBSE should start preparations, says Supreme Court
- 12 Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorists detained as Delhi Police foils major terror plot, seizes explosives
- Spectacular view of the Bahamas from space – See pic!