Snowfall in higher reaches in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Intermittent snowfall in the higher reaches of mountains heralded winter in Uttarakhand on Friday with Mukteshwar being the coldest at 5.2 degrees Celsius.
Located at a height of nearly 2100 metres, Mukteshwar was the coldest place and was followed by Pithoragarh at 7.2 degrees C, Tehri at 7.8 degrees C, Mussoorie at 8.3 and Nainital at 8.9 deg C, Meteorological Centre Director Anand Sharma said.
Attributing the growing cold in mid-hills to northerlies triggered by intermittent snowfall in Badrinath, Kedarnath, Gangotri and Yamunotri since Tuesday night, he said the trend will continue in the days to come adding to the chill.
Isolated light showers are also likely to occur in the plains while the higher reaches may receive more snowfall in the next 24 hours bringing temperatures further down, he said.
However, a majority of the areas in the plains, including Dehradun and Haridwar, continued to be relatively warm, he said.
Dehradun recorded a minimum of 14.3 deg C while Haridwar recorded a minimum of 10.4 degrees Celsius, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city