Snowfall in higher reaches in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Intermittent snowfall in the higher reaches of mountains heralded winter in Uttarakhand on Friday with Mukteshwar being the coldest at 5.2 degrees Celsius.
Located at a height of nearly 2100 metres, Mukteshwar was the coldest place and was followed by Pithoragarh at 7.2 degrees C, Tehri at 7.8 degrees C, Mussoorie at 8.3 and Nainital at 8.9 deg C, Meteorological Centre Director Anand Sharma said.
Attributing the growing cold in mid-hills to northerlies triggered by intermittent snowfall in Badrinath, Kedarnath, Gangotri and Yamunotri since Tuesday night, he said the trend will continue in the days to come adding to the chill.
Isolated light showers are also likely to occur in the plains while the higher reaches may receive more snowfall in the next 24 hours bringing temperatures further down, he said.
However, a majority of the areas in the plains, including Dehradun and Haridwar, continued to be relatively warm, he said.
Dehradun recorded a minimum of 14.3 deg C while Haridwar recorded a minimum of 10.4 degrees Celsius, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority