Snowfall in higher reaches in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Intermittent snowfall in the higher reaches of mountains heralded winter in Uttarakhand on Friday with Mukteshwar being the coldest at 5.2 degrees Celsius.
Located at a height of nearly 2100 metres, Mukteshwar was the coldest place and was followed by Pithoragarh at 7.2 degrees C, Tehri at 7.8 degrees C, Mussoorie at 8.3 and Nainital at 8.9 deg C, Meteorological Centre Director Anand Sharma said.
Attributing the growing cold in mid-hills to northerlies triggered by intermittent snowfall in Badrinath, Kedarnath, Gangotri and Yamunotri since Tuesday night, he said the trend will continue in the days to come adding to the chill.
Isolated light showers are also likely to occur in the plains while the higher reaches may receive more snowfall in the next 24 hours bringing temperatures further down, he said.
However, a majority of the areas in the plains, including Dehradun and Haridwar, continued to be relatively warm, he said.
Dehradun recorded a minimum of 14.3 deg C while Haridwar recorded a minimum of 10.4 degrees Celsius, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum