Snowfall in higher reaches of Uttarakhand
Dehradun: A thick sheet of snow covered the hills of Dhanaulti near Mussoorie Friday as Uttarakhand reeled under intense cold with the higher reaches of Himalayas in Kumaon and Garhwal regions receiving heavy snowfall and the plains lashed by moderate to heavy rains.
The current spell of snowfall and rains in the hill state has been caused by the western disturbance over Jammu and Kashmir and an induced cyclonic circulation over Rajasthan and adjoining areas, Met office Director Anand Sharma said.
Places located at an altitude of over 3,000 metres in Chamoli and Pithoragarh districts received heavy snowfall while lower areas in these districts were lashed by rains, he said.
Various places, including popular tourist spots like Haridwar and Nainital, received moderate to heavy showers with Joshimath in Chamoli district recording the maximum of 25.2 MM of rains followed by Karnaprayag which received 12.2 MM of rains and Dehradun which received 10.2 mm of showers.
The weather is likely to clear up in a couple of days but the cold will further intensify as the minimum temperature may drop by 3-4 degrees, he said.
The minimum recorded today was 10 degrees Celsius, he said, adding, that mist and fog are likely to engulf parts of Udhamsingh Nagar and Haridwar districts in a day or two.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Does a corrupt govt influence the mindset of the youth?
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?