Snowfall, rain bring down mercury in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Snowfall in the higher reaches of Uttarakhand and incessant showers in the plains led to a substantial drop in the maximum temperature at most places in the state on Friday with Dehradun recording a drop of more than ten degrees Celsius.
Incessant rains hit most places including Mussoorie, Pantnagar, Mukteshwar and Tehri, making people shiver with Dehradun recording a maximum of 11.6 degrees C which was more than ten notches below yesterday`s maximum of 22.8 degree Celsius, the MeT department said.
Dehradun recorded a rainfall of 11.4 mm by this evening, it said.
Hanumanchatti and Radi in Uttarkashi district received heavy snowfall with peaks like Bandarpuchch, Bhadrai and Baukh Tibba covered under thick sheets of snow.
Heavy snowfall also blocked the Yamunotri highway leaving a number of vehicles stranded.
JCBs have been pressed into service to clear the highway at the earliest, official sources in Uttarkashi said.
However, apple growers of Yamuna ghati area are thrilled with snowfall lashing the upper reaches of Uttarkashi.
Snowfall around this time of the year is highly beneficial for the apple crop.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- More than Sourav Ganguly's absence, Ravi Shastri is upset with rejection: Sanjay Manjrekar
- Malegaon blasts case: Narendra Modi government should sack NIA chief, demands Congress
- Another blow to YS Jaganmohan Reddy, ED attaches assets worth Rs 749.10 crore
- Toyota recalls 3.37 million cars over airbag, emissions control issues
- 7th Central Pay Commission: 14 key facts that all government employees must know