Snowfall, rain bring down mercury in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Snowfall in the higher reaches of Uttarakhand and incessant showers in the plains led to a substantial drop in the maximum temperature at most places in the state on Friday with Dehradun recording a drop of more than ten degrees Celsius.
Incessant rains hit most places including Mussoorie, Pantnagar, Mukteshwar and Tehri, making people shiver with Dehradun recording a maximum of 11.6 degrees C which was more than ten notches below yesterday`s maximum of 22.8 degree Celsius, the MeT department said.
Dehradun recorded a rainfall of 11.4 mm by this evening, it said.
Hanumanchatti and Radi in Uttarkashi district received heavy snowfall with peaks like Bandarpuchch, Bhadrai and Baukh Tibba covered under thick sheets of snow.
Heavy snowfall also blocked the Yamunotri highway leaving a number of vehicles stranded.
JCBs have been pressed into service to clear the highway at the earliest, official sources in Uttarkashi said.
However, apple growers of Yamuna ghati area are thrilled with snowfall lashing the upper reaches of Uttarkashi.
Snowfall around this time of the year is highly beneficial for the apple crop.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!