Snowfall, rain bring down mercury in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Snowfall in the higher reaches of Uttarakhand and incessant showers in the plains led to a substantial drop in the maximum temperature at most places in the state on Friday with Dehradun recording a drop of more than ten degrees Celsius.
Incessant rains hit most places including Mussoorie, Pantnagar, Mukteshwar and Tehri, making people shiver with Dehradun recording a maximum of 11.6 degrees C which was more than ten notches below yesterday`s maximum of 22.8 degree Celsius, the MeT department said.
Dehradun recorded a rainfall of 11.4 mm by this evening, it said.
Hanumanchatti and Radi in Uttarkashi district received heavy snowfall with peaks like Bandarpuchch, Bhadrai and Baukh Tibba covered under thick sheets of snow.
Heavy snowfall also blocked the Yamunotri highway leaving a number of vehicles stranded.
JCBs have been pressed into service to clear the highway at the earliest, official sources in Uttarkashi said.
However, apple growers of Yamuna ghati area are thrilled with snowfall lashing the upper reaches of Uttarkashi.
Snowfall around this time of the year is highly beneficial for the apple crop.
- Hot alert! Shruti Hassan looks incredibly sexy on the cover of GQ magazine – See pic
- Awwdorable! Salman Khan shares picture of mother Salma and baby Ahil
- Look what Ranveer Singh is doing for ‘Befikre’
- Premier League: Leicester City clinch historic title after Eden Hazard`s stunning late goal vs Tottenham Hotspur
- EPL: Jamie Vardy, Riyad Mahrez and other key players who played major roles in Leicester City`s title success