Snowfall, rain bring down temperatures in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Icy winds swept Uttarakhand on Saturday intensifying cold conditions as snowfall continued in hill districts and moderate showers lashed most parts of Uttarakhand with Tehri and Mukteshwar recording sub-zero temperatures.
The higher reaches of hill districts of Uttarkashi, Chamoli, Tehri and Nainital received snowfall for the second consecutive day with the peaks remaining covered under sheets of snow around these places.
Fresh snowfall has blocked nearly half a dozen roads including Joshimath-Auli and Mandal-Chopta routes in Chamoli district and Rishikesh-Yamunotri and Rishikesh-Gangotri highways in Uttarkashi affecting traffic.
Gwaldam in Chamoli district has also received fresh snow.
The minimum temperature in Dehradun recorded a drop of over one degree celsius today, the MeT department said. The city recorded a minimum temperature of 8.6 degrees Celsius as against yesterday`s 10.4 degrees Celsius, it said, adding that the temperature will drop further tomorrow when the weather is likely to clear up.
Tehri recorded a low of minus 2.5 degrees Celsius followed by Mukteshwar at minus 1.5 degrees Celsius, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued