Sonia Gandhi talks to PM on relief to flood-hit Uttarakhand
New Delhi: Congress president Sonia Gandhi has talked to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for providing adequate relief from the Centre to the victims of flash floods and landslide in the party-ruled Uttarakhand.
Gandhi on Tuesday also shot off a letter to the state Chief Minister, Vijay Bahuguna, asking him to keep her apprised of the relief work undertaken there.
"The natural calamity that has come in Uttarkashi due to flash flood and land slide is a human tragedy. I am concerned about the families, who have lost their near and dear ones, have sustained injuries and whose houses and habitation have got damaged," Gandhi said in a letter to Bahuguna.
Expressing the hope that the state government would be taking quick steps to tide over the problem and provide relief, Gandhi said that she has personally talked to the Prime Minister in this regard.
"Our effort is that the Centre also provide adequate support very soon.... Please keep me, too, posted of the steps being taken to provide relief and assistance (to the victims)," Gandhi said in the letter to Bahuguna expressing her condolences for the victims.
An estimated 20,000 people have been affected and around 30 persons killed in the flash floods in the state during the last few days.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed