Special force to tackle natural calamities in Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Uttarakhand government today gave the go-ahead for raising a State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) to deal quickly with natural calamities in the hill state.
Clearing a proposal to this effect at a meeting here, Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna said the SDRF will be constituted in a phased manner with the first two of a total of six companies to be raised initially by recruiting personnel from the Provincial Armed Constabulary, India Reserve Battalion and the Fire services.
Underlining the importance of such a force in view of the recent natural calamity in Uttarakhand and its vulnerability to disasters, Bahuguna said 30 hectares of land would be made available between Jollygrant and Rishikesh for establishing the SDRF headquarters.
The State Disaster Management Department will provide the funds for raising the force but if further grants are needed for training and equipment the Centre will be approached, the Chief Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing