Special prayers held in memory of Kedarnath disaster victims
Dehradun: Special prayers were held in the state secretariat here on Monday to pay tribute to the victims of the devastating deluge that ravaged several parts of Uttarakhand last year, and left thousands of people dead and many more missing.
Addressing a gathering on the first anniversary of the natural disaster, state`s finance minister Indira Hridayesh said, "the Uttarakhand government stands by the families which have lost their kin or property in the tragedy and is determined to do everything in its powers to rebuild their lives."
"We are trying relentlessly to heal the wounds of affected families. We are committed to offer them all help so that they get on with their lives," she said.
Candles were lighted and a two-minute silence was observed at the prayer event.
At another meeting, State Assembly Speaker Govind Singh Kunjwal prayed for peace to those who were killed in the natural disaster and asked the administration to be on high alert to deal with any emergencies this monsoon season.
He also lauded the state government for doing a commendable job by carrying out restoration work in the affected areas on a war footing and starting the Char Dham yatra on time this year.
Pradesh BJP president Tirath Singh Rawat also presided over a havan held at the party office here and prayed for peace to disaster victims.
The natural disaster last year left 3,178 persons dead with many more still missing, according to official figures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise