Stage set for resumption of prayers at Kedarnath shrine
Kedarnath (U`khand): The stage is all set for resumption of prayers at the calamity-hit Kedarnath shrine on Wednesday, 86 days after flashfloods in Uttarakhand left hundreds of pilgrims and locals dead.
The sanctum-sanctorum of the Himalayan shrine has been spruced up under the supervision of a team of Kedarnath-Badrinath Committee and administrative officials.
Prayers will resume on Wednesday in the presence of a 24-member team of priests and temple committee officials after a sanctification and atonement ceremony.
The chief priest of Kedarnath shrine, Rawal Bhima Shankar Ling Shivacharya, has left for the temple by chopper to give final touches for the prayers on Wednesday.
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguan accompanied by his ministerial colleagues will participate in the prayers.
The combing operation launched on Tuesday last in the upper reaches of Kedar valley to trace bodies has been suspended now with the ritual cremation of 185 skeletal remains recovered from Garurchatti and Rambara areas close to the Himalayan shrine, DGP Satyavrat Bansal said.
The operation will resume again after the prayers.
Swami Hansdevacharya, one of the representatives of the Sankaracharya attending the prayers said, "We will seek forgiveness of Lord Shiva for the prolonged suspension of prayers at the shrine after the unprecedented tragedy, which caused large scale damage to Kedar valley".
Officials here said the prayers are being resumed for the deities, not for the devotees as much of the infrastructure is still damaged.
"Nobody is allowed to visit the shrine via road route as much of the roads are still damaged and we cannot take any chances," said Bansal.
Bansal, who was going to the Kedarnath shrine, had to return to Guptkashi helipad due to bad weather. He is waiting at Guptkashi for the weather to clear up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India