Stalemate persists in Uttarakhand Congress
Dehra Dun: Three more Congress MLAs on Monday took oath in the Uttarakhand Assembly even as the political impasse in the state continued with rebel Congress leader Harish Rawat refusing to budge.
Eleven rebel Congress MLAs, including Harak Singh Rawat, failed to turn up defying a directive from state Congress Chief Yashpal Arya.
Among those, who took oath today include senior party leader Indira Hridayesh (Haldwani), Madan Singh Bist (Dwarahaat) and Ganesh Godiyal (Srinagar).
It was not yet clear whether all three jumped onto the wagon a day after embattled Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna held talks with rebel Congress leader Harish Rawat, who remained defiant.
All the 21 MLAs out of the total 32 were present in the Vidhan Sabha complex to propose the candidature of Mahendra Singh Mahra, a close confidante of Rawat, for the lone Rajya Sabha seat from the state.
As the political stalemate continued, lines of worry could be seen on the faces of both chief minister Vijay Bahuguna and PCC chief Yashpal Arya.
However, the two leaders said they were confident that all the MLAs would come together and help in the government functioning. "All those who did not come today will join later," said Arya.
Bahuguna, who became the Chief Minister on March 13, is facing an uphill task to bring the warring factions together and mollify them in order to provide stability to his fledgling government with the pressure being mounted from him
from all quarters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part IV
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part II
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen