Steps in place to thwart any security threat: Kumbh official
Haridwar: In view of the huge gathering for the Kumbh mela starting here on Thursday, organisers are working closely with state and central security agencies to thwart any untoward incident.
"There is always a serious threat," chief mela officer Anand Bardhan said.
"In fact where such huge crowd gathers, there is always a potential...," Bardhan told PTI.
Refusing to elaborate on any specific terror alert, he said the administration is taking all necessary steps.
Official sources said there is a terror threat to the mela especially on January 26. The security measures have been so tough that even `akharas` or religious orders have been advised to issue identity cards to their sadhus.
All hotels have been instructed to give out rooms only on production of valid identity cards and surprise checks would be conducted to ensure that guidelines are followed.
Moreover, even for the media persons, who have come to the city in large numbers from across the country and abroad, special passes have been introduced only on the basis of valid I-cards issued by their respective organisations and after proper verification.
Security at all entry, exit and sensitive points in and around the mela have been handed over to paramilitary personnel, Bardhan said, adding the district administration has also increased the number of CCTV cameras besides ensuring deployment of large number of police personnel including commandos and bomb disposal squads.
He said the organisers were expecting arrival of about five crore devotees, sadhus and tourists from different parts of the country and abroad
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya