Steps in place to thwart any security threat: Kumbh official
Haridwar: In view of the huge gathering for the Kumbh mela starting here on Thursday, organisers are working closely with state and central security agencies to thwart any untoward incident.
"There is always a serious threat," chief mela officer Anand Bardhan said.
"In fact where such huge crowd gathers, there is always a potential...," Bardhan told PTI.
Refusing to elaborate on any specific terror alert, he said the administration is taking all necessary steps.
Official sources said there is a terror threat to the mela especially on January 26. The security measures have been so tough that even `akharas` or religious orders have been advised to issue identity cards to their sadhus.
All hotels have been instructed to give out rooms only on production of valid identity cards and surprise checks would be conducted to ensure that guidelines are followed.
Moreover, even for the media persons, who have come to the city in large numbers from across the country and abroad, special passes have been introduced only on the basis of valid I-cards issued by their respective organisations and after proper verification.
Security at all entry, exit and sensitive points in and around the mela have been handed over to paramilitary personnel, Bardhan said, adding the district administration has also increased the number of CCTV cameras besides ensuring deployment of large number of police personnel including commandos and bomb disposal squads.
He said the organisers were expecting arrival of about five crore devotees, sadhus and tourists from different parts of the country and abroad
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt