Students stage anti-tobacco rally in Dehradun
Dehradun: In an effort to make Uttarakhand tobacco-free, students of various educational institutions staged an anti-tobacco awareness rally here on Tuesday.
The rally was flagged off jointly by Raipur MLA Umesh Sharma and Dehradun District Magistrate BVRC Purushottam, who heads the special task force constituted to oversee the campaign.
The rally`s main objective was to create awareness among people about the ill effects of smoking and use of other tobacco based products.
Students from 40 government schools and other educational institutions participated in the rally which went through the main thoroughfares of the city before concluding at the Parade Ground where the participating students were given certificates signed by the DM.
According to an official estimate, about 30 lakh people across Uttarakhand consume tobacco in different forms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre