Students stage anti-tobacco rally in Dehradun
Dehradun: In an effort to make Uttarakhand tobacco-free, students of various educational institutions staged an anti-tobacco awareness rally here on Tuesday.
The rally was flagged off jointly by Raipur MLA Umesh Sharma and Dehradun District Magistrate BVRC Purushottam, who heads the special task force constituted to oversee the campaign.
The rally`s main objective was to create awareness among people about the ill effects of smoking and use of other tobacco based products.
Students from 40 government schools and other educational institutions participated in the rally which went through the main thoroughfares of the city before concluding at the Parade Ground where the participating students were given certificates signed by the DM.
According to an official estimate, about 30 lakh people across Uttarakhand consume tobacco in different forms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley