Students stage anti-tobacco rally in Dehradun
Dehradun: In an effort to make Uttarakhand tobacco-free, students of various educational institutions staged an anti-tobacco awareness rally here on Tuesday.
The rally was flagged off jointly by Raipur MLA Umesh Sharma and Dehradun District Magistrate BVRC Purushottam, who heads the special task force constituted to oversee the campaign.
The rally`s main objective was to create awareness among people about the ill effects of smoking and use of other tobacco based products.
Students from 40 government schools and other educational institutions participated in the rally which went through the main thoroughfares of the city before concluding at the Parade Ground where the participating students were given certificates signed by the DM.
According to an official estimate, about 30 lakh people across Uttarakhand consume tobacco in different forms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- National Museum gets new chief and he has an Ayodhya connection
- Solar Impulse 2 completes historic round-the-world trip: Incredible welcome for pilots in Abu Dhabi (Watch)
- Peru president elect eyes house arrest for Fujimori
- Know what Salman Khan tweeted after Rajasthan High Court acquitted him in two black buck poaching cases
- Snapdeal Monsoon sale kicks off; get upto 60% discount