Sushma asks Shinde to evacuate pilgrims in Utk
New Delhi: Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj on Tuesday spoke to Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and urged him to evacuate pilgrims stranded in Uttarkashi region of Uttarakhand in the aftermath of flash floods there.
"I have just spoken to Home Minister Shri Sushil Kumar Shinde and requested him to requisition Army and Airforce helicopters and rescue the pilgrims immediately," Swaraj said on popular microblogging site Twitter.
She said Shinde has assured her that he would do the needful at the earliest.
Swaraj said the Leader of Opposition in Uttrakhand Ajay Bhatt spoke to her about the need for emergency evacuation of pilgrims stranded in Uttarkashi and the India-China border road.
Flash floods in parts of Uttarakhand on Saturday had left several hundreds of pilgrims stranded at popular religious places of worship.
The pilgrims were trapped after the floods wiped out roads, cutting off 80 Uttarkashi villages from the rest of Uttarakhand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM