Tarun Vijay files nomination for RS seat
Dehradun: BJP candidate Tarun Vijay on Monday
filed his nomination papers for the lone Rajya Sabha seat in
Uttarakhand, elections for which are scheduled on June 17.
Vijay, BJP`s national spokesman, who was accompanied by
state party chief Bishan Singh Chufal and Chief Minister
Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank, reached the office of Vidhan Sabha
Secretary and Returning officer, Mahesh Chandra, and filed his
nomination papers in two sets, official sources said here.
In each of the two sets, 10 party MLAs have proposed his
name for the Upper House seat, which will be vacated on July
1. The seat is being currently held by Capt Satish Sharma of
Earlier, Vijay, also a journalist, visited the famous
Tapkeshwar Mahadev temple here and offered prayers.
The election of Vijay to the Rajya Sabha seems certain as
the BJP enjoys majority with 36 members in the House of 70.
While three independents are also supporting BJP candidate,
three-member Uttarakhand Kranti Dal, ruling party`s ally, is
yet to decide on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review