Tehri bypoll: Congress vows to win back public confidence
New Delhi: The Congress Party, which suffered a setback in the Tehri Lok Sabha by-election on Saturday, said that it would work harder in the future to win back the public confidence.
Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari said the people occupy an exalted status in a democracy, and that their verdict has to be accepted with a bowed head.
"The question is that responsibility as well as the credit is always collective. In a democracy people occupy an exalted status, their verdict has to be accepted with a bowed head. Where we have won we thank the people, where we have lost we will try extra harder to try and win their confidence," he said.
In the prestigious Tehri seat vacated by Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna, his son and Congress candidate Saket Bahuguna lost to BJP`s Mala Raj Laxmi Shah, the daughter-in-law of erstwhile Tehri royal family scion Manvendra Shah, who had represented the seat for a record eight times.
Congress Party, however, won the Jangipur Parliamentary seat.
Congress candidate Abjijit Mukherjee, the son of President Pranab Mukherjee, won the Jangipur by-election by a narrow margin of 2,536 votes defeating his nearest CPI-M rival Muzaffar Hussain on Saturday.
The by-election was held on October 10 as the seat had been left vacant after Pranab Mukherjee was elevated to the highest office of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Kejriwal gives one week deadline to discoms to solve outages problem
- French Open 2016: Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray through as Angelique Kerber exits
- 'Asian Century' largely depends on India, China: Pranab Mukherjee
- Beijing medals at risk for Russia after positive re-tests
- IPL 2016: AB de Villiers, Iqbal Abdullah take RCB into final with stunning win over GL in Qualifier 1