Tehri bypoll: Congress vows to win back public confidence
New Delhi: The Congress Party, which suffered a setback in the Tehri Lok Sabha by-election on Saturday, said that it would work harder in the future to win back the public confidence.
Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari said the people occupy an exalted status in a democracy, and that their verdict has to be accepted with a bowed head.
"The question is that responsibility as well as the credit is always collective. In a democracy people occupy an exalted status, their verdict has to be accepted with a bowed head. Where we have won we thank the people, where we have lost we will try extra harder to try and win their confidence," he said.
In the prestigious Tehri seat vacated by Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna, his son and Congress candidate Saket Bahuguna lost to BJP`s Mala Raj Laxmi Shah, the daughter-in-law of erstwhile Tehri royal family scion Manvendra Shah, who had represented the seat for a record eight times.
Congress Party, however, won the Jangipur Parliamentary seat.
Congress candidate Abjijit Mukherjee, the son of President Pranab Mukherjee, won the Jangipur by-election by a narrow margin of 2,536 votes defeating his nearest CPI-M rival Muzaffar Hussain on Saturday.
The by-election was held on October 10 as the seat had been left vacant after Pranab Mukherjee was elevated to the highest office of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- First Minister Nicola Sturgeon plans EU future for Scotland after Brexit
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal