Thirteen killed, seven injured as bus plunges into gorge in Chamoli
Gopeshwar: Thirteen persons were killed and seven others injured on Saturday when a private bus they were travelling in fell into a deep gorge in Chamoli district in Uttarakhand.
The impact of the fall was so huge, the bus was broken into pieces, a police official here said.
The bus was going from Rishikesh to Ghat and fell off a steep slope into a 300 m-deep gorge at about 12:45 pm, when it was around half a kilometre away from its destination, he said.
Many passengers on board the bus are still missing, he said, adding search was on to find them.
Search and rescue teams have meanwhile pulled out seven injured passengers from the mangled remains of the bus and rushed them to a hospital, he said.
The bus was owned by Garhwal Motor Owners Company. Most of the passengers of the bus are said to have been hailing from Ghat block, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof