Thirteen killed, seven injured as bus plunges into gorge in Chamoli
Gopeshwar: Thirteen persons were killed and seven others injured on Saturday when a private bus they were travelling in fell into a deep gorge in Chamoli district in Uttarakhand.
The impact of the fall was so huge, the bus was broken into pieces, a police official here said.
The bus was going from Rishikesh to Ghat and fell off a steep slope into a 300 m-deep gorge at about 12:45 pm, when it was around half a kilometre away from its destination, he said.
Many passengers on board the bus are still missing, he said, adding search was on to find them.
Search and rescue teams have meanwhile pulled out seven injured passengers from the mangled remains of the bus and rushed them to a hospital, he said.
The bus was owned by Garhwal Motor Owners Company. Most of the passengers of the bus are said to have been hailing from Ghat block, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued