Thirteen killed, seven injured as bus plunges into gorge in Chamoli
Gopeshwar: Thirteen persons were killed and seven others injured on Saturday when a private bus they were travelling in fell into a deep gorge in Chamoli district in Uttarakhand.
The impact of the fall was so huge, the bus was broken into pieces, a police official here said.
The bus was going from Rishikesh to Ghat and fell off a steep slope into a 300 m-deep gorge at about 12:45 pm, when it was around half a kilometre away from its destination, he said.
Many passengers on board the bus are still missing, he said, adding search was on to find them.
Search and rescue teams have meanwhile pulled out seven injured passengers from the mangled remains of the bus and rushed them to a hospital, he said.
The bus was owned by Garhwal Motor Owners Company. Most of the passengers of the bus are said to have been hailing from Ghat block, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror