Tibetan exiles offer prayers for flood-hit HP and U’khand
Dharamsala: Hundreds of Tibetan exiles Monday offered prayers for those who died in calamity-hit Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
An appeal has also been made to donate for the victims as a "gesture of solidarity".
"Around 1,000 exiles, monks and well-wishers held prayers for the well-being of the injured and for those who have lost their precious lives," Sonam Dorjee, head of the local Tibetan Settlement Office, which organised the prayers, told a news agency.
Special prayers were held at the hill-top Tsuglagkhang temple close to the official palace of the Dalai Lama at McLeodganj near here.
An appeal has also been made to donate generously for the cause.
"The donations raised by our office would be forwarded to the chief ministers` relief funds for rehabilitation of people both in Himachal and Uttarakhand," he said.
The Tibetan government-in-exile Sunday announced to contribute Rs.300,000 to the Chief Minister`s Relief Fund for the flood victims of Uttarakhand.
The toll in Uttarakhand is over 500, while 16 people lost lives in landslide and rain-related incidents in Kinnaur, the worst-hit district of Himachal.
The Tibetan exile administration is based in this northern Indian hill town but is not recognised by any country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray