Toilets to boost self confidence among women: Ramesh
Raipur: Union Minister Jairam Ramesh Saturday said providing toilet to women in the country will instill a sense of confidence, self respect and security among them.
It is shameful that 60 per cent of women in the country still defecate in open and there was a shortage of toilets in the country, he told reporters here.
In the backdrop of recent incidents of violence against women, including the Delhi gang-rape case, the Union Rural Development Minister said it is important to provide toilet to women for their security.
Providing toilet to women will develop a sense of confidence, self respect and security among them, he said.
Ramesh asked the Naxals to give up violence and enter electoral politics if they were sincere about the development of tribals and wanted to return to the national mainstream.
There are several examples of people associated with Naxals returning to the mainstream, he said.
Ramesh expressed concern over the slow pace of development activities in the Naxal-affected areas and said, "development of these areas was essential."
For the progress of the Naxal-hit areas it was important to link even the small villages through roads, he said adding, there was shortage of roads and bridges in such belts.
Proper implementation of Panchayat Extension to Scheduled Area Act by the states concerned can end the problem of Naxalism, the Union Minister said.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today