Tourists have left, ‘village of widows’ remains in Uttarakhand
Zee Media Bureau
Dehradun: It’s been more than a fortnight since the devastating flash floods hit Uttarakhand killing hundreds and displacing thousands.
As rescue operations near end and relief work begins, heart wrenching stories are coming to the fore.
One such tragic story has emanated from the Deoli-Bramhagram panchayat which comprises six-odd hamlets and is located nearly seven kilometres from Guptkashi.
A total of 57 men are missing from the area, which is now being tagged as the "village of widows".
Most of these men used to work as mule operators at Kedarnath, ferrying pilgrims from Gaurikund. All the 57 are untraceable since the June16-17 flash floods.
Some 20 people are also reported to be missing from the surrounding villages of Deoli and Bramhagram. Most of these are pundits who perform small pujas around the Kedarnath shrine or run hotels.
Their families are grieving and are angry because rescue operations have focused on stranded pilgrims while no one seems concerned about the locals.
Many other gram panchayats like Kalimath, nearly 10 km from Guptkashi, have yet to be reached for relief efforts. The worst fear is: the death toll there could be higher.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark