Two held in connection with threatening calls to former CM
Dehradun: Two persons have been arrested in connection with making a threatening call to former Uttarakhand chief minister and BJP leader Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank.
Anil Kumar and Surendra Kumar were arrested from Rampur area of Uttar Pradesh on Saturday during a joint operation by state and Uttarakhand police, said a police official, adding the two had tried to implicate a person with whom they had a personal rivalry by using his SIM card.
The two had also made threatening calls to Uttar Pradesh DGP, DIG of Bareilly and an MLA of Uttar Pradesh besides Nishank, he said.
Nishank`s OSD Ajay Bist had registered a complaint under IPC sections 504 and 506 on the night of May 17 that the BJP leader had received a threatening call on his mobile phone following which the matter was handed over to a SOG team.
During investigations, it was found out that Anil and his brother-in-law Surendra manipulated to get a SIM card on the ID of one Sunil Kumar, with whom the two had personal enmity. Later, they made threatening calls to several influential persons and thought that Sunil would be arrested for the crime.
However, the shopkeeper, who sold the SIM card, recognised Anil and Surendra as the purchaser of the card following which the two were arrested.
The police official said that the two accused were today produced before a court in Rampur which sent them to 14-day judicial remand. Now the Uttarakhand police would try to bring them here for further interrogation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured