Two leaders pull out of poll fray for Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Two BJP leaders who entered the fray here recently for election to the post of the party`s Uttarakhand unit chief have withdrawn their nominations following intervention by the party`s central leadership.
Tirath Singh Rawat and Trivendra Singh Rawat withdrew their nominations late on Sunday after being directed to do so by the party high command, state BJP spokesman Satish Lakhera told a news agency.
This was in keeping with party tradition and facilitate appointment of someone chosen by the central leadership to take over the reins of the party in the state, he said.
The prolonged search by the BJP for a consensus candidate to head the party`s Uttarakhand unit came a cropper on Friday when the two party leaders entered the fray for the post in the presence of senior party leaders, including central party observer Vijay Goel and former chief ministers BC Khanduri, Bhagat Singh Koshiyari and Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank.
Tirath Singh Rawat is former pradesh BJP general secretary and Trivendra Singh Rawat is a former minister.
While Tirath Singh Rawat, who has Sangh background, has the backing of former chief minister Bhuwan Chandra Khanduri, Trivendra Singh Rawat has the support of another party stalwart and former CM Bhagat Singh Koshiyari.
A search was on since the end of Bishen Singh Chufal`s tenure in November last year to find a consensus candidate for the state party chief who could lead the party in 2014 General Elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'