Two leaders pull out of poll fray for Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Two BJP leaders who entered the fray here recently for election to the post of the party`s Uttarakhand unit chief have withdrawn their nominations following intervention by the party`s central leadership.
Tirath Singh Rawat and Trivendra Singh Rawat withdrew their nominations late on Sunday after being directed to do so by the party high command, state BJP spokesman Satish Lakhera told a news agency.
This was in keeping with party tradition and facilitate appointment of someone chosen by the central leadership to take over the reins of the party in the state, he said.
The prolonged search by the BJP for a consensus candidate to head the party`s Uttarakhand unit came a cropper on Friday when the two party leaders entered the fray for the post in the presence of senior party leaders, including central party observer Vijay Goel and former chief ministers BC Khanduri, Bhagat Singh Koshiyari and Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank.
Tirath Singh Rawat is former pradesh BJP general secretary and Trivendra Singh Rawat is a former minister.
While Tirath Singh Rawat, who has Sangh background, has the backing of former chief minister Bhuwan Chandra Khanduri, Trivendra Singh Rawat has the support of another party stalwart and former CM Bhagat Singh Koshiyari.
A search was on since the end of Bishen Singh Chufal`s tenure in November last year to find a consensus candidate for the state party chief who could lead the party in 2014 General Elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi