Two leaders pull out of poll fray for Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Two BJP leaders who entered the fray here recently for election to the post of the party`s Uttarakhand unit chief have withdrawn their nominations following intervention by the party`s central leadership.
Tirath Singh Rawat and Trivendra Singh Rawat withdrew their nominations late on Sunday after being directed to do so by the party high command, state BJP spokesman Satish Lakhera told a news agency.
This was in keeping with party tradition and facilitate appointment of someone chosen by the central leadership to take over the reins of the party in the state, he said.
The prolonged search by the BJP for a consensus candidate to head the party`s Uttarakhand unit came a cropper on Friday when the two party leaders entered the fray for the post in the presence of senior party leaders, including central party observer Vijay Goel and former chief ministers BC Khanduri, Bhagat Singh Koshiyari and Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank.
Tirath Singh Rawat is former pradesh BJP general secretary and Trivendra Singh Rawat is a former minister.
While Tirath Singh Rawat, who has Sangh background, has the backing of former chief minister Bhuwan Chandra Khanduri, Trivendra Singh Rawat has the support of another party stalwart and former CM Bhagat Singh Koshiyari.
A search was on since the end of Bishen Singh Chufal`s tenure in November last year to find a consensus candidate for the state party chief who could lead the party in 2014 General Elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- Will meet Dayashankar's daughter on Sunday: Naik
- It's Giggs' Mumbai vs Solgado's Kochi in Premier Futsal final
- Two Maoists gunned down by security forces in Chhattisgarh
- 1 die, 3 injured as fire breaks out in highrise
- Tour de France 2016: Chris Froome on brink of 3rd title as Ion Izaguirre wins penultimate stage