Two leaders pull out of poll fray for Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Two BJP leaders who entered the fray here recently for election to the post of the party`s Uttarakhand unit chief have withdrawn their nominations following intervention by the party`s central leadership.
Tirath Singh Rawat and Trivendra Singh Rawat withdrew their nominations late on Sunday after being directed to do so by the party high command, state BJP spokesman Satish Lakhera told a news agency.
This was in keeping with party tradition and facilitate appointment of someone chosen by the central leadership to take over the reins of the party in the state, he said.
The prolonged search by the BJP for a consensus candidate to head the party`s Uttarakhand unit came a cropper on Friday when the two party leaders entered the fray for the post in the presence of senior party leaders, including central party observer Vijay Goel and former chief ministers BC Khanduri, Bhagat Singh Koshiyari and Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank.
Tirath Singh Rawat is former pradesh BJP general secretary and Trivendra Singh Rawat is a former minister.
While Tirath Singh Rawat, who has Sangh background, has the backing of former chief minister Bhuwan Chandra Khanduri, Trivendra Singh Rawat has the support of another party stalwart and former CM Bhagat Singh Koshiyari.
A search was on since the end of Bishen Singh Chufal`s tenure in November last year to find a consensus candidate for the state party chief who could lead the party in 2014 General Elections.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended