U’khand: 26 pilgrims die as bus falls into Ganges
Dehra Dun: At least 26 pilgrims from Madhya Pradesh were on Tuesday killed and 16 injured when a bus carrying them fell into the Ganges river at Kodiyala near Byasi in Tehri District, police said.
The mishap occurred this afternoon when the private tourist bus, carrying 45 passengers, was going to Rishikesh from Badrinath and fell into the river while trying to overtake a truck, said Tehri Superintendent of Police Janmejaya Khanduri.
While 21 people died on the spot, five succumbed to their injuries on way to hospital, he said.
All the bodies have been fished out during a rescue operation that lasted for more than four hours, he said.
The injured were admitted to Rishikesh government hospital and the condition of four of them was stated to be critical, Khanduri said.
The pilgrims belonged to Mandsaur district of Madhya Pradesh.
Announcing a magisterial inquiry into the accident, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna also asked the administration to provide an ex-gratia of Rs 1 lakh each to the next of the kin of the deceased and Rs 50,000 each to those seriously injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi