U’khand: 26 pilgrims die as bus falls into Ganges
Dehra Dun: At least 26 pilgrims from Madhya Pradesh were on Tuesday killed and 16 injured when a bus carrying them fell into the Ganges river at Kodiyala near Byasi in Tehri District, police said.
The mishap occurred this afternoon when the private tourist bus, carrying 45 passengers, was going to Rishikesh from Badrinath and fell into the river while trying to overtake a truck, said Tehri Superintendent of Police Janmejaya Khanduri.
While 21 people died on the spot, five succumbed to their injuries on way to hospital, he said.
All the bodies have been fished out during a rescue operation that lasted for more than four hours, he said.
The injured were admitted to Rishikesh government hospital and the condition of four of them was stated to be critical, Khanduri said.
The pilgrims belonged to Mandsaur district of Madhya Pradesh.
Announcing a magisterial inquiry into the accident, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna also asked the administration to provide an ex-gratia of Rs 1 lakh each to the next of the kin of the deceased and Rs 50,000 each to those seriously injured.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis