U’khand: 76% turnout in Sitarganj bypoll
Dehra Dun: A record 76.38 per cent polling was on Sunday registered in the Sitarganj assembly byelection where Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna is facing a straight contest against the BJP.
No untoward incident was reported from anywhere in the area, chief electoral officer Radha Raturi said.
Despite intermittent rains throughout the day, heavy polling was witnessed with people lining up in serpentine queues at polling stations. BJP MLA Kiran Mandal had quit the seat to allow the Congress chief minister to contest, raising hackles of the opposition.
The counting of votes will take place on July 11.
Bahuguna is locked in a straight contest against BJP`s Prakash Pant, who had held the posts of cabinet minister and Speaker of the assembly during the tenure of previous BJP governments.
Pant had lost the assembly election from Pithoragarh early this year.
The election is likely to be a close contest, observers said.
Both the main political parties -- Congress and BJP relied only on the state leadership for campaigning and national leaders were not invited to address public meetings.
Along with state PCC Chief Yashpal Arya, Bahuguna himself shouldered the responsibility of campaigning.
The two leaders have been camping in the constituency for most of the time ever since the electioneering began.
For BJP, the campaign was spearheaded by former chief minister and BJP national vice President Bhagat Singh Koshiyari, state BJP President Bishan Singh Chufal and leader of the opposition Ajay Bhatt.
Nearly 1500 personnel including four companies of central paramilitary force and three platoons of PAC were deployed in the constituency for security purpose.
Besides, polling staff comprising nearly 600 people were put on duty on 116 polling booths, Raturi said.
There are a total of 91,247 electorate including 42,447 women voters in Sitarganj constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre