U’khand chopper crash: Army jawan cremated with state honours
Nashik: The mortal remains of 30-year-old Army jawan Ganesh Hanumant Ahirrao, who died in a helicopter crash during Uttarakhand rescue operations was cremated with state honours on Wednesday, at his native village Wadalawadali in Chalisgaon taluka of North Maharashtra`s Jalgaon district.
Thousands of villagers paid their last respects to his body. Condolence messages from Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, BJP opposition leader Eknath Khadse and others were read out on the occasion.
Army officials, two captains, three commanding officers and 15 jawans attended his funeral and he was given a salute by the police by firing three rounds in the air as a mark of respect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire