U’khand chopper crash: Army jawan cremated with state honours
Nashik: The mortal remains of 30-year-old Army jawan Ganesh Hanumant Ahirrao, who died in a helicopter crash during Uttarakhand rescue operations was cremated with state honours on Wednesday, at his native village Wadalawadali in Chalisgaon taluka of North Maharashtra`s Jalgaon district.
Thousands of villagers paid their last respects to his body. Condolence messages from Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, BJP opposition leader Eknath Khadse and others were read out on the occasion.
Army officials, two captains, three commanding officers and 15 jawans attended his funeral and he was given a salute by the police by firing three rounds in the air as a mark of respect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- World's largest aircraft, Airlander 10, crashes during 2nd test flight - Watch
- Reliance Jio gets aggressive; partners Samsung, Micromax and others for free voice, data service
- Zeta eases retail payment further with NFC-enabled super tag
- UP polls: Congress main agenda is fighting corruption, not political parties: Raj Babbar
- Himachal Pradesh CM's wife to be further quizzed in PMLA case: ED to Delhi HC