U’khand chopper crash: Army jawan cremated with state honours
Nashik: The mortal remains of 30-year-old Army jawan Ganesh Hanumant Ahirrao, who died in a helicopter crash during Uttarakhand rescue operations was cremated with state honours on Wednesday, at his native village Wadalawadali in Chalisgaon taluka of North Maharashtra`s Jalgaon district.
Thousands of villagers paid their last respects to his body. Condolence messages from Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, BJP opposition leader Eknath Khadse and others were read out on the occasion.
Army officials, two captains, three commanding officers and 15 jawans attended his funeral and he was given a salute by the police by firing three rounds in the air as a mark of respect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH