U’khand CM for norm relaxation for opening bank branches
Dehra Dun: Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna on Wednesday sought relaxation in RBI norms for opening of bank branches in the hilly areas of the state.
Bahuguna told reporters that during his meeting with RBI governor D Subbarao, he urged upon him to consider relaxations in opening of bank branches in hilly areas where the population was scattered. The meeting lasted nearly 30 minutes.
When asked about the desirable minimum population for opening a bank branch in the hills, the Chief Minister said it could be anything less than 1000 and could be decided through discussions.
He said the expansion of banking facilities would also help increase the pace of development in the backward hilly areas of the state.
Bahuguna said the benefits of welfare schemes launched by the state and the centre for scheduled caste, scheduled tribes, weaker sections and women would also reach the beneficiaries faster by opening of more bank branches.
The Chief Minister said the visit of RBI Governor to the hill state would be a "milestone` and help in expanding banking facilities in the state.
During the meeting, Bahuguna said the RBI Governor asked him to facilitate enhanced use of e-transferring of funds, which he said is quite less in Uttarakhand.
Bahuguna said the state government would make sincere efforts in that direction.
State Finance Minister Indira Hridayesh, who was present during the meeting, said the issues relating to contribution of banks in the development of the state, especially, in generating employment, were also discussed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest