U`khand: Cong clears hurdle, elects Speaker
Dehra Dun: The Congress government in
Uttarakhand on Monday cleared a major hurdle with the election of
its candidate Govind Songh Kunjwal as the Speaker of the
Assembly by a good margin of eight votes over BJP nominee
Harbans Kapoor ahead of Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna`s trust
Kunjwal, 67, who scored a hat-trick in the recent state
elections, got 39 votes and Kapoor bagged 31 votes in the
70-member Assembly, protem Speaker Shailendra Mohan Singhal
said announced in the House.
His victory looked certain as the Congress, which has a
strength of 32, had mustered the support of 7 non-BJP MLAs.
All the three independents, Pritam Singh Panwar, the lone
member of the Uttarakhand Kranti Dal, and three members of the
BSP voted in favour of Kunjwal.
Governor Margaret Alva is scheduled to address the new
House tomorrow and the vote on the motion of thanks for her
address is likely the day after, some Congress MLAs said.
Kunjwal, an MLA from Jageshwar in Almora district and a
staunch supporter of Union minister Harish Rawat, pledged to
maintain the sanctity of the House and said he would function
without any bias.
"I assure you that I will treat all the members equally
and maintain the sanctity of the House," said the former
horticulture minister in the ND Tiwari government during
Earlier in the day, Bahuguna made a strong plea to the
opposition BJP to withdraw the candidate for the Speaker`s
post in line with the highest traditions of the democracy.
However, the BJP remained adamant and pressed for a vote.
Congratulating the Speaker, Bahuguna hoped that he would
maintain the highest standards of democracy. "I am sure that
you will earn confidence of both the ruling and opposition
benches," Bahuguna said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you