U`khand EC urges to postpone poll date
Dehradun: Citing extreme cold conditions in
the month of January, Uttarakhand State Election Commission
today urged the Central Election Commission to postpone the
date for Assembly polls till the last week of February next
Chief Election Officer, Uttarakhand, Radha Raturi said
that she has sent a fax to the EC requesting it to postpone
the poll date from January 30 to the last week of February.
"Cold conditions are very severe in the last week of
January, and snowfall also takes place in some parts during
the period. So, it is very difficult to conduct polls in such
conditions," she told PTI.
Out of 9,744 polling centres, 35 per cent stations lie in
snow prone areas, Raturi said.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister B C Khanduri has also requested
the EC to delay the polling date.
The Election Commission yesterday announced a
seven-phased poll in Uttar Pradesh between February 4 and 28,
while assembly elections in Punjab, Uttarakhand, Manipur and
Goa would be held in a single-phase.
Punjab and Uttarakhand will go to polls on January 30,
while it will be held on January 28 in Manipur and on March 3
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt