U`khand EC urges to postpone poll date
Dehradun: Citing extreme cold conditions in
the month of January, Uttarakhand State Election Commission
today urged the Central Election Commission to postpone the
date for Assembly polls till the last week of February next
Chief Election Officer, Uttarakhand, Radha Raturi said
that she has sent a fax to the EC requesting it to postpone
the poll date from January 30 to the last week of February.
"Cold conditions are very severe in the last week of
January, and snowfall also takes place in some parts during
the period. So, it is very difficult to conduct polls in such
conditions," she told PTI.
Out of 9,744 polling centres, 35 per cent stations lie in
snow prone areas, Raturi said.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister B C Khanduri has also requested
the EC to delay the polling date.
The Election Commission yesterday announced a
seven-phased poll in Uttar Pradesh between February 4 and 28,
while assembly elections in Punjab, Uttarakhand, Manipur and
Goa would be held in a single-phase.
Punjab and Uttarakhand will go to polls on January 30,
while it will be held on January 28 in Manipur and on March 3
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?