`U`khand for better tax collection, no new taxes`
Dehra Dun: Uttarakhand Finance and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Indira Hridayesh has asked officials to ensure proper collection of existing taxes instead of implementing new ones to improve the financial condition of the state.
Chairing a meeting of commercial tax department here yesterday, Hridayesh asked the officials to make improvements in tax recovery process and said the proper collection of existing taxes should be ensured instead of imposing new taxes on people, an official release said.
She added that mafia raj would not be allowed to flourish in the state and asked the officials to recover taxes without any fear.
The minister also instructed the officials to maintain coordination between the administration and the Commercial Tax Department. She said the help from District Magistrates can improve the the process of tax collection.
"Till the practice of evading tax payment among the tax payers is stopped, the financial condition of the state cannot be improved," she said, adding that the district with maximum tax collection would be awarded.
During the meeting, she also advocated simplifying the tax payment process.
Hridayesh pointed out that the owners of banquet halls were being charged 5 per cent tax for rent above Rs 10,000, but they concealed the exact profit.
She asked District Magistrates to hold meetings with the owners of banquet halls and instructed the Secretary Finance to explore the possibility of fixing tax on banquet halls on the basis of the their area.
She also laid emphasis on giving more attention towards collection of Luxury Tax and making amendments in Saray Act.
She also asked the District Magistrates to ensure 100 per cent registrations of hotels and guest houses and instructed them to check tax evasion in mining and timber business and give preference to collect taxes from larger evaders.
She also asked the officials to concentrate more on collection of taxes from stamp registration and entertainment tax from cable TV networks and river rafting Companies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA