U`khand girl honoured for not marrying man demanding dowry
Dehradun: The Uttarakhand police on Tuesday honoured a girl for her bold refusal to marry a man whose family was demanding a dowry from her parents.
Kavita was to tie the knot with Mukesh on November 29 but in the course of a pre-wedding ritual on November 25, the man`s family demanded a dowry of Rs 1 lakh from the girl`s parents, who expressed their inability to pay the amount.
This angered Kavita`s prospective in-laws who threatened to snap the marriage deal if they did not receive the amount, police said.
Kavita then broke her silence and refused to marry into a "greedy" family, they said.
Praising the girl for her bold step, IG Law and Order Ram Singh Meena offered her a cheque of Rs 5,100, a shawl and a bouquet as a token of appreciation at a simple function here in the presence of senior police officials.
"Kavita`s brave act of refusal to marry a man from a greedy family is exemplary and should inspire other girls caught in similar situations," Meena said addressing the gathering.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'