U`khand girl honoured for not marrying man demanding dowry
Dehradun: The Uttarakhand police on Tuesday honoured a girl for her bold refusal to marry a man whose family was demanding a dowry from her parents.
Kavita was to tie the knot with Mukesh on November 29 but in the course of a pre-wedding ritual on November 25, the man`s family demanded a dowry of Rs 1 lakh from the girl`s parents, who expressed their inability to pay the amount.
This angered Kavita`s prospective in-laws who threatened to snap the marriage deal if they did not receive the amount, police said.
Kavita then broke her silence and refused to marry into a "greedy" family, they said.
Praising the girl for her bold step, IG Law and Order Ram Singh Meena offered her a cheque of Rs 5,100, a shawl and a bouquet as a token of appreciation at a simple function here in the presence of senior police officials.
"Kavita`s brave act of refusal to marry a man from a greedy family is exemplary and should inspire other girls caught in similar situations," Meena said addressing the gathering.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites