U’khand not to take legal action on Tehri project
Dehra Dun: Despite facing an acute power crisis, Uttarakhand government has decided not to take any legal action for the transfer of 25 per cent share held by Uttar Pradesh in the multi-purpose Tehri hydel project.
"We will not take any legal action as far as Tehri dam is concerned", said a state government official.
Earlier, the government had explored various possibilities including the legal ones to get back the 25 per cent share from the 2400-MW Tehri dam.
Earlier last month, Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna had asked the Centre to transfer to his hill state one-fourth of Uttar Pradesh’s share in the hydel project.
Uttar Pradesh is a 25 per cent shareholder in the Tehri project, while the centre’s share is 75 per cent.
The CM also sought additional 150-MW power for the Char Dham yatra season.
The 25 per cent share, top officials here claimed, would have given the hill state tremendous relief from the acute power shortage it faces during the lean seasons.
The move came despite the recent decision by the Centre not to provide 13 per cent free power to Uttarakhand from the last phase of the project which is being built under the pumped storage plant (PSP) design to produce another 1000-MW.
On an average Uttarakhand spends around Rs 700-800 crore every year to purchase power from the open market.
Last month the Uttarakhand Power Corporation Limited [UPCL] purchased power worth over Rs 300 crore, which is turning out to be very costly affair for it, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown